Sweet Potato Cupcakes
Published on 22nd April 2016
- Preheat the oven to 140c/Gas Mark 4.
- Line 2 muffin trays with cupcake cases (24 total).
- Using a steamer, cook the sweet potatoes until tender – approx 15-20 minutes. Remove, and allow to cool.
- Place the eggs, oil, sugar, half of the vanilla essence and sweet potatoes into a large bowl, and bear with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- If you don’t have an electric mixer, mash the sweet potatoes first – this will make it easier to mix in with the other ingredients.
- Sieve together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir into the sweet potato mixture.
- Split the mixture equally between the cupcake cases – filling to approx 2/3 of the way.
- Bake in the centre of the pre-heated oven for approx 20 minutes.
- To check the cupcakes are cooked, pop a skewer into the middle of the cupcakes, and if it comes out clean, the cakes are ready! If not, return to the oven for a few more minutes.
- Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Beat together the cream cheese and softened butter until light and fluffy. Add the other half of the vanilla extract, and sieve the icing sugar into the mix.
- Mix until smooth.
- Add food colouring if you wish, and mix.
- Using a piping bag, top the cupcakes with the frosting.
- Add any optional decorations (ours are sprinkled with cocoa powder!), and enjoy!